- Trip GradeStrenuous
- TransportationPrivate Transport & Flight
- Group Size02 - 16
- Max Altitude5125m.
About Upper Dolpo Trek 25 days
Upper Dolpo is the most isolated areas to choose trekking in Nepal. Dolpo sits between the Tibetan plateau and Dhaulagiri Himalaya rain shadow in western Nepal. It is a remote region famous for rarely found snow leopard and blue sheep.
The first trekking route in the Upper Dolpo started only after 1990 by the British Tour operator. The tradition and lifestyles of people remain untouched in the Dolpo region. The region remains a restricted area in Nepal and requires special trekking permits for Upper Dolpo Trek.
The Caravan is the first English subtitled movie on Dolpo region of Nepal. The movie was nominated for an Oscar award for the best foreign language film category.
Most of the villages in the Upper Dolpo sits above the height of 4300 meters. The trekking route passes through some of the spectacular mountains such as Mount Annapurna, Dhaulagiri, Kanjiroba, etc.
The trail passes through the wild remoteness of the Lower Dolpo region towards the Upper Dolpo.
Upper Dolpo is the only place where people still follow the pre- Buddhist Bon Po religion. The custom and tradition of the region are quite similar to those of Tibet.
The Upper Dolpo Trek lies within the boundaries of the Shey Phoksundo National Park. The mystical beauty and remoteness of the region attract visitors from all around the world.
The high pass trails, fascinating valleys, local settlements, gigantic mountains, centuries-old monasteries, etc are some of the major attractions of the Upper Dolpo Trek.
Upper Dolpo Trek starts from a flight from Kathmandu to Nepaljung and then towards Juphal. Your classic trek officially starts from Juphal towards Dunai along the Bheri river.
You will have two nights to enjoy the beauty of Shey Phoksundo Lake and the snowy peak of Kanjirova Himalayan range. The classic journey will take you to the isolated village of Ringmo, Shey Gompa, and the fascinating wildlife of western Nepal.
So, if Upper Dolpo fascinates you, you should definitely plan your trek to this isolated region of Nepal. You can book your trip at Index Adventure. We promise to make your trip to the Upper Dolpo unforgettable.
Highlights of Upper Dolpo Trek
Exploring the amazing views of Mount Kanchenjunga, Crystal mountain and many more.
Visiting some of the ancient monasteries and villages of the Dolpo region.
Witnessing the unique traditional Buddhist culture.
Walking within the Phoksundo National park.
Exploring the beautiful Phoksundo Lake and Shey Gompa.
When to go the Upper Dolpo Trek
Are you concerned about the best time for Upper Dolpo Trek? Have you been planning your trip to the Dolpo region and confused about the time you should be trekking? Today I will provide you with some of the best times for Upper Dolpo Trek.
The best time for Upper Dolpo Trek would be in Autumn ( the beginning of September to the end of October). In Autumn months, there are lesser chances of rainfall and snow.
The temperature is ideal during this time of the year. You will walk under good weather and climatic during the autumn season.
So, don’t you want to enjoy the beauty of Upper Dolpo with the favorable weather of Autumn? Of course, you do.
But, remember to book for your accommodation and meals as early as possible. As autumn is the peak season, most of the teahouses might get crowded.
The turquoise blue lake of Shey Phoksundo looks amazing during the autumn season. Along with this, you will have clear visibility of the snowy mountains.
Spring (March, April, May) can also be a perfect time for Upper Dolpo Trek. It is the pre-monsoon season in Nepal so you can expect minimum rainfall during the spring season.
However, Upper Dolpo expects light rainfall during late May. So, make sure to carry your rain gear when trekking to the Upper Dolpo in May.
Heading towards the higher elevation during spring might be tricky. It is because you can find snowy trails along the high passes in Spring season.
Overall, spring is the most beautiful time of the year for Upper Dolpo trek. The dense forest of Dolpo blooms with its colorful flowers throughout the trails.
The natural beauty of Upper Dolpo remains high during the spring season. Spring takes away the harsh weather and temperature of the winter season.
So the weather and temperature are usually warm and stable in the Upper Dolpo during Spring. Although the temperature might lower in the higher areas, it is bearable.
Winter (June, July, August) and monsoon (March, April, May) are usually the off-season time for Upper Dolpo Trek in Nepal.
Winter in the Upper Dolpo region might become harsh. Many trekkers fear from the fact that they might have to face unfavorable weather conditions during winter.
You will have to climb through different high passes during your Upper Dolpo Trek. So, most of the trails seem covered in thick layers of snow during winter.
During mid-winter, crossing the pass becomes tougher than ever. The weather also changes constantly.
Similarly, monsoon (June, July, August) may not be a decent option for Upper Dolpo Trek. Most of the trails to Upper Dolpo becomes muddy and slippery because of the monsoon rain.
So, overall Upper Dolpo Trek becomes quite challenging during monsoon and winter season. It may not be a decent time for trekking to the Upper Dolpo.
However, if you want a challenging and thrilling trekking experience, winter and monsoon can be an ideal option.
Difficulties during Upper Dolpo Trek
Upper Dolpo is a camp trekking. You can see very few or no teahouses along the route to the Upper Dolpo for night stay.
Searching for the campsites and arranging your own meals and tent houses might be difficult for some trekkers.
Upper Dolpo Trek involves various high altitude passes. During your 25 days Upper Dolpo Trek, you will have to cross three high passes which are above the height of 5000 meters.
Crossing the pass involves walking through steep and narrow ridges and taking several ascends and descends. Crossing the passes are quite tough and challenging but at the same time thrilling as well.
Altitude Sickness is very common during Upper Dolpo Trek. The highest point of the trek is at Sal Dang La that sits at an altitude of 5010 meters. The amount of oxygen is very low at such height.
As you walk, the temperature and oxygen level decreases gradually. You will have difficulty in breathing. The symptoms of altitude sickness are diarrhea, vomiting, headache, fever, nausea, etc. If you face any such difficulty, descend to a lower height immediately.
Upper Dolpo Trek might be quite demanding especially for a beginner trekker. It is a long trek and involves 6-7 hours of walking on average.
Physical fitness plays a vital role during Upper Dolpo Trek. The trek does not require any special training but, previous high altitude trekking experience will help you a lot. It will make your trekking experience less challenging and comfortable.
Upper Dolpo Trekking Permits
As Upper Dolpo is a restricted region in Nepal, you will need special trekking permits in order to trek. The different permits that you will require when trekking to the Upper Dolpo are:
TIMS Card (Trekkers Information Management System)
Lower Dolpo Trek Permit
Upper Dolpo Trek Permit
Shey Phoksundo National Park Permit.
The cost of Upper Dolpo Trek Permit is 500 dollars per person for the first 10 days. If you are willing to stay more days in the region, you will have to pay 50 dollars for each additional day.
You can collect the trekking permit from the Department of Immigration Nepal.
You will also require Lower Dolpo Trekking permit for Upper Dolpo Trek. The cost of Lower Dolpo trekking permit is USD 10 per week.
You will collect the Shey Phoksundo National Park Permit at the entrance of Shey Phoksundo National Park. The cost of Shey Phoksundo National park permit is USD 30 PLUS 13% VAT for foreign trekkers.
You will have to pay Rs.1000 plus 13% VAT if you are from a SAARC nation.
The cost of Shey Phoksundo National Park Permit is only Rs. 25 for the crew members.
Is Upper Dolpo Trek Possible without a Guide?
Upper Dolpo is a restricted and isolated region in Nepal. It is a challenging trekking destination in Nepal. So, the Government of Nepal does not allow individual trek to the Upper Dolpo.
Hiring a guide during the Upper Dolpo Trek is compulsory. The guide assures your safety and security during the trek.
It is always better to trek with the help of a guide. Index Adventure can arrange you with an experienced guide who will assist you throughout the trek. He/ she will always act as a source of inspiration during your trek.
As the Upper Dolpo is a camp trek, the guide will help you to find the perfect camping site.
Hiring a porter can also be a better option during your Upper Dolpo Trek. They will help you to carry your bags up to 10 kgs.
Both the guide and the porter will make your trek to the Upper Dolpo as comfortable as possible. The guide will charge you around 20- 25 dollars a day and the porter will charge you around 15-20 dollars per day.
- Day 1:Arrival in Kathmandu-Transfer to Hotel.
- Day 2:Fly from Kathmandu to Nepalgunj (1 hour).
- Day 3:Fly from Nepalgunj to Juphal and Trek to Dunai.
- Day 4:Trek from Dunai to Ankhe.
- Day 5:Trek from Ankhe to Sulighat.
- Day 6:Trek from Sulighat to Phoksundo Lake.
- Day 7:Rest Day at Phoksundo Lake.
- Day 8:Trek from Phoksundo Lake to Phoksundo Khola.
- Day 9:Trek to Phoksundo Bhanjyang.
- Day 10:Trek to Shey Gompa (4,500m) via Kang-La pass (5,360m).
- Day 11:Rest day at Shey Gompa Explore the Crystal Monastery.
- Day 12:Trek from Shey Gompa to Namduna Gaun via Saldang La (5,200 m)
- Day 13:Trek from Namduna to Saldang.
- Day 14:Trek from Saldang to Yangze Gompa.
- Day 15:Trek from Yangze to Sibu.
- Day 16:Trek from Sibu to Jeng-la Phedi.
- Day 17:Trek Jeng-la to Tokyu Gaon via Jeng la
- Day 18:Trek from Tokyu Gaun to Dho Tarap.
- Day 19:Rest Day at Dho Tarap and Exploration
- Day 20:Trek from Dho Tarap to Tarap Khola (Kama Kharka).
- Day 21:Trek from Tarap Khola to Khanigaon.
- Day 22:Trek from Khanigaun to Tarakot.
- Day 23:Trek from Tarakot to Dunai.
- Day 24:Trek from Dunai to Jhuphal.
- Day 25:Fly from Juphal to Nepalgunj to Kathmandu.
- Airport pickup and drop by private vehicle.
- Three nights Kathmandu hotel with Breakfast.
- Trekking lodge (Tea House) and homestay accommodations during the trek.
- Three meals a day during the trek.
- Special Trekking upper Dolpo permit and other required paper documents.
- Round trip flight fare Kathmandu-Nepalgunj- Juphal -Kathmandu) with airport tax and pick up and drop.
- A high experience, helpful, knowledgeable, friendly, English speaking well trained, Government license holder guide with all his salary, food, drinks, accommodation, transport and insurance.
- Strong, helpful porters with proper equipment (one porter for two people).
- Medical supplies (first aid kit will be available).
- Arrangement of Emergency Helicopter service which will be paid by your Travel Insurance Company.
- Sleeping bag & Duffel Bag (if you do not have your own, to be returned after trip completion).
- Guided city tour as per above itinerary with private vehicle.
- Farewell & Trekking Achievement Certificate.
- Government taxes and official expenses.
- while you are in Kathmandu Lunch and Dinner.
- Nepal entry visa fees (you may easily issue the visa upon your arrival at International Airport – Kathmandu). You need 2 passport size photos and $40 dollar.
- Your Travel insurance.
- International airfare.
- Your personal expenses.
- All the alcoholic and non-alcoholic hot and cold drinks.
- Tips for trekking staff and driver.
- All sightseeing tour entrance fees.
- Any other expenses which are in mentioned on include section